The Victims' Code of Practice

The Code of Practice for Victims of Crime sets out what services you can expect from the criminal justice agencies - such as the police and the courts - when you have reported a crime. The Code ensures, for example, that you are kept up to date on the progress of your case. If you are a vulnerable or intimidated victim, it also makes sure that you are given special consideration. 

Cheshire police have designed a Victim Information Pack for all victims of crime which explains what you can expect from us from the moment you report a crime right through to when the trial has finished at court. This provides a guide to the services and support you can receive.

If you are not happy with the service you receive, you can make a complaint under the Code.

For more information about the Code of Practice for Victims of Crime or to make a complaint, visit the Your Rights section on the DirectGov website.

Victims' Right to Review

The Victims’ Right to Review (VRR) scheme gives victims the right to request a review of a Police decision not to prosecute a suspect. For more information visit the Victims' Right to Review page.

How you can seek compensation

Injury, loss or damage

If you have suffered any injury, loss or damage as a result of the offence, you may be entitled to compensation if someone is caught and convicted. You will need to tell the police if you want to seek compensation, so that the CPS can apply for a compensation order. You will also need to give the police accurate details of the loss, injury or damage, and (if possible) any evidence, like receipts.

Injuries caused by violent crime

If you have been injured in a violent crime, you can seek compensation through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme. For more information about this scheme, visit the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority website or phone 0800 358 3601.

Damage caused by an uninsured driver

If you have been in an accident and the offender was driving an uninsured vehicle, you may be able to claim compensation through the Motor Insurers' Bureau. You can visit the Motor Insurers' Bureau website or phone 01908 830 001 for more information.