Drunk male

Alcohol-related crime

The links between alcohol and crimes such as anti-social behaviour, assault and robbery are well known. Recent crime statistics show that.

  • More than a million crimes and 1.2 million hospital admissions are linked to alcohol every year
  • Overall, alcohol-related harm is estimated to cost society £21 billion annually
  • The levels of binge drinking among 15 and 16 year olds in the UK compare poorly with many other European countries.

Alcohol-related crime and disorder has a major impact on the quality of life for many people. The pages in this section provide information about the work we are doing to tackle this issue, how to get help, and how to report alcohol related crime.

Tackling alcohol-related crime

In order to reduce alcohol-related crime, it is important to tackle the underlying causes as well as to enforce the law. Cheshire Police try to tackle the misuse and sale of alcohol before it becomes a problem.

As a police service, we want to do more than simply respond to the crime and arrest the offenders. We want to prevent alcohol-related crime.

How do we tackle alcohol-related crime?

  • Ensuring a visible police presence in town and city centres during busy times
  • Developing PubWatch to empower licensees to share information and combat problems together
  • Enforcing 'banning orders' for individuals who have been barred from premises or arrested for drink-related violence or disorder
  • Targeting named offenders of violent crime and potential alcohol-related crime 'hotspots' such as taxi ranks, and late night cafes, bars and clubs
  • Issuing fixed penalty notices where we find licensees selling alcohol to under 18s in licensed premises
  • Issuing Direction to Leave orders, which give police officers the power to tell anyone aged 16 or over to leave a particular area for up to 48 hours
  • Using litmus tests to determine whether soft drinks being drunk by young people contain alcohol
  • Using Civil Injunctions, Criminal Behaviour Orders and Acceptable Behaviour Contracts to deter repeat offenders or force parents to take responsibility for their children's behaviour
  • Working with Trading Standards officers to perform test purchases at bars, clubs and off-licenses to check for staff selling alcohol to people under 18
  • Seizing alcohol from under 18s who are caught drinking in public places
  • Seizing alcohol from people drinking in an anti-social manner within designated no drinking zones, and arresting those who fail to comply
  • Carrying out multi-agency licensing visits to licensed and off-licensed premises
  • Increasing the use of CCTV to diffuse potential disorder in town centres
  • Working with off-licence premises to reduce theft and proxy purchasing
  • Working with licensed premises to reduce anti-social behaviour.

Acceptable Identification

When buying age restricted items such as alcohol or entering licensed premises, such as a bar, pub or club, you may be asked to prove your age.

The current scheme that shops and venues operate is called Challenge 25 whereby if you look younger than 25 you may be asked to show ID to prove that you are over the age of 18.

Acceptable forms of ID:

  • Driving Licence - A full or provisional driving licence
  • Passport - A passport which is within date
  • Any identification card bearing the PASS logo - more information on the pass scheme website
  • A national identity card issued by a European Union member state (other than the United Kingdom)
  • A Ministry of Defence Form 90 Defence Identity card.

Reporting alcohol-related crime/ alcohol abuse

There are a variety of ways to report alcohol issues including: