Working with partners: who deals with what?

The responsibility for tackling anti-social behaviour effectively rests with a variety of local agencies and the local community. These agencies work together to solve the offending behaviour by combining the expertise and powers of organisations such as local councils, police, social housing landlords, fire and rescue services the anti-social behaviour can be tackled in the most effective way.

The type of things the Police deal with:

  • Vandalism that is linked to threatening and/or offensive behaviour
  • Graffiti linked to threatening and/or offensive behaviour (e.g. involving racism or other hate crimes)
  • Buying drugs on the street
  • Drinking on the street
  • Threatening or drunken behaviour
  • Setting off fireworks late at night
  • Off road motor bikes.

The type of things the local councils deal with:

  • Rowdy and noisy neighbours- contact the Environmental Health department of your local authority. The Department is likely to ask you to keep a diary of the noise nuisance. During the investigation they may issue you with some equipment to record the noise. These two steps are designed to gather evidence for a prosecution, although it is likely they will give your neighbour the opportunity to turn the TV/music down without further action. The whole process can take some time to complete, so you may have to be patient.
  • Uncontrolled or stray dogs- only contact Cheshire Police if the dog is causing a road obstruction or being aggressive towards other people
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Unkempt gardens, rubbish dumping
  • Littering
  • General vandalism
  • General graffiti, such as 'tagging'.