Owners of cars with keyless entry systems need to be vigilant after rise a in the number of thefts of these vehicles.
Criminals are starting to exploit some vulnerabilities of this system - allowing them to drive the car away without having to break into a home to get a key.
Drivers are urged to:
- Contact your dealer for further information and guidance regarding the digital features in your car. Have there been any software updates you can take advantage of?
- Check if your keyless entry fob can be turned off. If it can, and your dealer can also confirm this, then do so overnight.
- Think about how you store your key at home. Keeping your keyless entry fob out of sight is not enough – thieves only need to get near to the key to amplify the signal. Drivers are urged to keep both sets of keys in a container or pouch which blocks the signal from the fob.
- Review your car security – consider additional security devices such as mechanical locks and trackers.
- Be vigilant. Keep an eye out for suspicious activity in your neighbourhood – and report anything unusual to the police.