Lost and found property

If you are a member of the public who wishes to report or record lost property, or wish to get a lost property reference number, Cheshire Police will no longer provide this service. This is a national change affecting all police forces.

Lost Property Advice

Where your item is serial numbered, we recommend that you register on the Immobilise website (free of charge). This will help the police if your property is ever stolen.
You can report any loss at a number of places online for example:

  • Immobilise - free service
  • Report My Loss - allows losers to print a numbered ownership certificate, confirming the details of the loss. They do charge a fee for this service.

Where the item is a pedal cycle, we recommend that you register and report the item lost on the Bike Register website

Details of losses reported via these methods are made available to Police forces across the UK. This ensures the best chance of being reunited with your property. This information is already available to insurance companies and service providers using the NMPR and Bike Register system, which makes any further loss report unnecessary.

If you think you have lost your property in a public place/premises or on public transport, such as:

  • Licensed premises (pubs, bars, nightclubs)
  • Private premises (house, hotel, hostel)
  • Business premises (restaurants, shops, supermarkets, offices, entertainment venues)
  • Educational premises (schools, universities, colleges)
  • Public transport (trains, buses, trams)
  • Taxis (including private hire vehicles)
  • Airport

You should make direct contact as they often operate their own lost and found property service and are better placed to deal with your enquiry.

What should I do with property I have found?

Property that should be reported / handed in to the Police for recording and retention:

  • Firearms, Shotguns, Ammunition and Explosives
  • Poisons, Toxins, Chemicals

This category of items should not be retained by the finder / member of the public under any circumstances, and should be handed in to a Police station.

If you believe that the item is too dangerous to handle, or poses a risk to yourself or members of the public, please report it to the police immediately.

  • Computers, Laptops, Cameras, Smart Mobile ‘Phones or anything with an internal data memory
  • Documents containing personal information e.g. passports, ID cards, birth/marriage certificates, driving licences etc.

These items cannot be retained by the finder or members of the public under any circumstances, as they could contain personal or sensitive information.

Please hand in to a police station or a Police Officer/Police Community Support Officer as soon as possible.

  • Cash and Jewellery

Please hand in to a police station or a Police Officer/Police Community Support Officer as soon as possible. If these are not claimed within 28 days they can usually be claimed by the finder.

Property that should not be retained by the public, and should be reported to other organisations:

  • Bank Cards / Cheque books

If you find a bankcard please follow the instructions on the back of the card / cheque book or return to the issuing bank/building society.

  • Prescribed Medication or Drugs

If you find prescription medication/drugs please make reasonable enquiries which could include asking people nearby, or in nearby premises. If still unidentified then please take to the nearest hospital, GP surgery, pharmacy or police station so that they may be safely destroyed.

Property that does not need to be reported:

  • Bicycles

We do not normally take receipt of bicycles, however if the finder believes that it may stolen or linked to a crime, for example it is new, then it can be reported to us.

  • Unidentifiable Low Value Items

There is no need to submit found property reports to the Police for unidentifiable low value items, including luggage, empty purses, empty wallets, umbrellas, spectacles, used or soiled clothing, perishable goods, rubbish, or similar.

It is highly unlikely that the loser of any such unidentifiable low value item will approach the Police to find the lost item of property, and therefore we do not take receipt of these.