Reporting Stolen Vehicles

If your vehicle is stolen you should report it immediately to the police. The police will notify the DVLA of the details of the theft and any recovery of the vehicle on your behalf.

What should I do if my vehicle is stolen?

If your vehicle is stolen, you should:

  • Call the police - Make sure that you have all of the vehicle details to hand (i.e. registration number, make, model, can colour of the vehicle). The police will give you a crime reference number which you will need in the event of an insurance claim for a refund of vehicle tax on your tax disc.
  • Call your insurance company - Contact your insurance company immediately for advice. If your vehicle is not recovered and your insurance company pay out a claim, then you need to inform the DVLA. You need to complete the ‘notification of sale or transfer’ V5C/3 section of your V5 registration certificate.
  • Refund of vehicle tax - You can apply for a refund on your vehicle tax if your vehicle has been stolen and not recovered.

Also in this section

Report it

In an emergency always dial 999

Non emergencies - 101