Lost and Found

Lost Property

We will always do our best to reunite people with lost possessions. However, if you have lost some property it may be that Cheshire Constabulary is not best placed to help you.

What should you do?

The first thing you should do if you have lost something is try to re-trace your steps, you should contact any premises you have visited to see if the item has been found there, most businesses like those listed below have a lost and found property procedure that they follow:

  • Licence premises (pubs, nightclubs)
  • Private premises (house, hotel, hostel)
  • Taxis
  • Public transport (trains, buses, trams)
  • Business premises (shops, supermarkets)
  • Educational premises (schools, universities, colleges)

If you still can’t find your item you can visit your local Police Station or contact us by telephone on 101 and we will complete a lost property report.

If you lost your property when you were outside of Cheshire you should contact the police force for that area to report the matter.

Specialist items

In certain cases lost property should be reported in a specific way.  The following items should be reported as described:

Driving licences

If you lose your driving licence you should contact the DVLA to report it, stolen licences should also be reported to the Police on 101.

Bank Card 

If you lose your Bank or Credit card you should contact your bank immediately and report it so that the card can be cancelled.

Identity Card

Lost identity cards should be reported to the issuing organisation.

Blue Disabled Badges

Misplaced or lost badges should be reported to local council that issued them.

Mobile Phones

If you lose your phone, you should contact your service provider as soon as possible to have your phone blocked. Contact details can be found on your mobile provider’s website.

If phones are handed in to the police, they are checked against the UK National Property Register to see if they can be reunited with their owner.  If you have not already done so, you should register your phone to this database by visiting the Immobilise website, as it will increase the likelihood of your phone being returned to you if it is lost and handed in.

Pet Dogs

If you lose your dog call your local Council, the dog warden may have picked your dog up as a stray.  You can also call the local vets or refuge centre to see if your animal has been handed in.


From Monday 7th September it will no longer be possible to report the loss or theft of any passport, UK, EU or Foreign National, by any other means than in person at the Helpdesk of one of the following Police Stations:

  • Chester (Blacon)
  • Crewe
  • Macclesfield
  • Northwich
  • Warrington
  • Widnes

In order to complete the report it is necessary to provide proof of identity please ensure you bring at least one the following when you attend:

  • Driving Licence
  • Recent Utility Bill (dated within the last 3 months)
  • Bank Statement (dated within the last 3 months)

It is advised that the loss is also reported to the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) for UK Passport losses or thefts, or to the relevant Embassy/Consulate in the UK for EU and Foreign National Passport losses or thefts.

Out of Hours - There is no facility to report the loss or theft of any passport out of hours, anyone wishing to make a report has to attend their nearest Helpdesk.

Found Property

If you have found someone's property, your legal obligation is to try to reunite it with the owner. You could do this by putting up a notice near to where you found the item.

If you find identification documents such as a driving licence or passport, for security reasons you should send them back to the issuing authority. If you find a bankcard, please follow the instructions on the back of the card.

If you find an item in any of the areas below you should contact the manager of the premises to report the item as being found:

  • Licence premises (pubs, nightclubs)
  • Private premises (house, hotel, hostel)
  • Taxis
  • Public transport (trains, buses, trams)
  • Business premises (shops, supermarkets)
  • Educational premises (schools, universities, colleges)

If you find an item in a place other than those listed above you can take it to your local police Station where we will book it into our property system and try to reunite it with its owner.