Make a Complaint

If you think that a police officer or member of police staff has behaved incorrectly or unfairly, you have the right to make a complaint.

People who work in the police service should behave appropriately at all times. Expectations about the behaviour of both police officers and members of police staff are set out in their respective Standards of Professional Behaviour. These expectations include requirements to:

  • Act with honesty and integrity, fairness and impartiality
  • Treat members of the public and their colleagues with respect
  • Not abuse their powers and authority
  • Act in a manner that does not discredit or undermine public confidence in the police service.

If you feel that someone working for the police has not met these standards, you can make a complaint. These types of complaints are dealt with under the Police Reform Act 2002.

How can I make a complaint against the conduct of a person serving with Cheshire Police?

Please download and fill in the form below.

Complaint form PDF document

The completed form can be sent via email to [email protected] or post to:

Professional Standards
Cheshire Constabulary Headquarters
Clemonds Hey
Oakmere Road


Write out your complaint in full here - please try and include as much detail about the complaint as possible such the time and date, people involved and the outcome you'd like from the complaint.

You can email the Professional Standards department at [email protected]

In person at your local station or, if you believe local management is at fault, at any main station. Any police officer or other member of police staff will ensure that you see someone capable of dealing with your complaint. The Professional Standards Department will be pleased to advise or assist any member of the public with a disability to make a complaint.

You can send a letter by writing to your local or main station or Police Headquarters.

To submit a complaint by phone, please call the Cheshire Police non emergency number 101.

Calls to 101 cost 15 pence per call from landlines and mobiles - no matter how long you're on the phone.

Letters can be sent to Cheshire Constabulary's Professional Standards Department:

Professional Standards Department (PSD)
Cheshire Constabulary Headquarters,
Clemonds Hey,

Through your solicitor, MP, local councillor, Citizens Advice Bureau or any other person or body that represents your interests, if they agree and provided you give your written consent.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) oversees the whole of the police complaints system and makes its decisions independently of the police, government and complainants.

Police forces deal directly with most complaints against their officers, staff and contractors, while the IOPC investigates the most serious complaints, incidents and allegations of misconduct.

Complaints should be made to the relevant Police Force as any material sent to the IOPC will be forwarded to the appropriate policing area to consider in the first instance.

Further information can be found on the IOPC website.

All submissions are in confidence and will be taken seriously.