Fourth man jailed following aggravated burglary in Frodsham Date published: 26th June 2018 12.32pm

A fourth man involved in an aggravated burglary in Frodsham where the occupants were threatened with a sawn-off shot gun has been jailed.

Daniel Murphy, 27, appeared at Chester Crown Court on Monday 25 June where he was sentenced to seven years and six months in prison, plus three years on licence, after pleading guilty to aggravated burglary and possession of a firearm.

Murphy, of Eldersfield Road, Liverpool, will now be joining Declan Kilbride, Thomas Dean and Rhys Allen, who were all jailed earlier this year after pleading guilty to the same offences. The group were sentenced to a combined total of 35 years in prison.

The charges relate to an incident that occurred at 10pm on Tuesday 28 March 2017 when three men forced entry into a family home in the Fairways area of Frodsham, while a fourth man acted as lookout nearby.

On entering the address the men threatened the victims with a sawn-off shotgun and a knife, demanding that they handed over keys to their car.

After taking the keys the men fled the scene and got into a getaway vehicle which was waiting nearby.

The victims - a husband and wife and their two young children - immediately reported the incident to Cheshire Police, who swiftly deployed officers to the area.

Just 17 minutes later officers became aware of a white Audi A4 which was being driven erratically on the nearby Bridgewater Expressway in Runcorn. They followed the vehicle as it travelled at speeds of up to 100mph, dangerously weaving in and out of traffic.

The Audi eventually came to a stop on Blackheath Lane, Runcorn, after colliding with a number of stationary vehicles. All of the offenders then got out of the vehicle and fled into a nearby wooded area.

Officers flooded the scene and both Kilbride, 23, and Dean, 27, were arrested nearby. Allen, 23, was arrested on Tuesday 5 September.

During the investigation officers also discovered evidence which linked Murphy to the incident.

However, Murphy went into hiding following the incident, and despite a detailed search officers were unable to locate him until Friday 23 March 2018 when he was arrested at an address in Liverpool. He was subsequently charged with aggravated burglary and possession of a firearm.

Following Murphy’s sentencing Detective Constable Andrea Ellis said: “Today’s hearing brings to a conclusion what has been an extremely complex investigation and I would to thank all of the officers involved.

“Four men have now been jailed for a total of 35 years and, while the victims may never be able to forget what happened on that night, I do hope that the sentences provide reassurance.

“I also hope that this case will act as a deterrent to other potential offenders and reinforces our commitment to tackling this type of crime.”