Leigh brothers jailed for ten years following ATM attacks in Warrington Date published: 3rd May 2018 4.20pm

A pair of brothers from Leigh have been jailed after two failed attempts to blow up cash machines in a bid to steal money in Warrington.

David Culshaw, 49, and Michael Culshaw, 51, appeared at Liverpool Crown Court on Wednesday 2 May, where they were both sentenced to 10-years in prison after pleading guilty to attempting to rob money from an ATM.

The first incident occurred at around 12.30am on Sunday 24 September, when the brothers were captured on CCTV tampering with the cash machine outside the Spar store in Risley.

They attempted to break into the machine by causing an explosion using a gas canister. The pair were unsuccessful in their attempts, fleeing the scene empty handed after causing minor damage to the ATM.

The second incident occurred just weeks later. The brothers returned to the same cash machine at 4.30am on 16 October 2017 and were again captured on CCTV attempting to use a gas canister to blow up the ATM to gain access to the cash inside.

This time they were partially successful in their attempt, with a large explosion causing significant damage to the front of the store. However, they failed to gain access the money inside the machine and again fled the scene empty handed.

While fleeing Michael Culshaw inadvertently left a black glove and towel behind, which was later traced to him via DNA. Traces of David Culshaw’s DNA were also discovered on a black tube that the pair used to cause the explosion.

On 30 October 2017 officers executed warrants at the brothers’ homes in Leigh, Greater Manchester, and found equipment that linked them to the two incidents in Warrington and indicated that they were planning further attacks.

The pair were both arrested and subsequently charged with a number of offences, including attempted theft from a cash machine, arson and causing an explosion likely to endanger life – a charge which required approval from the Attorney General.

David Culshaw was also charged with possession of a class A drug.

The pair pleaded guilty to all their charges.

Following sentencing, Sergeant Alison Howarth welcomed the sentences stating: “The Culshaws believed that they were above the law, attempting, and failing to steal money from the same ATM machine on two separate occasions.

“I commend the diligence of the detectives involved in pursuing all lines of enquiry to identify them as suspects. The brothers failed to engage with officers during the investigation and denied any involvement. It was down to the tenacity of the investigators who secured the evidence to prove beyond doubt their involvement and build the case which led to the guilty pleas.

“The brothers believed that crime would pay and help eradicate debt, the sentences passed today prove that this isn’t the case and has landed them behind bars”

Detective Constable John Parry, the officer in charge of the case added: “This store was local in the heart of a small tight knit community, and the devastation of these incidents should not be underestimated. Not only did they cause thousands of pounds worth of damage, but they also had a profound impact on other businesses and residents within the local area.

“The substantial sentence handed to the brother’s today recognise this impact and send a clear message to offenders that Cheshire detectives will pursue all lines of enquiry to detect crime that hurts the very heart of our communities and puts innocent members of the public at risk.”