Liverpool man jailed following robbery in Runcorn Date published: 25th September 2019 1.48pm

A man from Liverpool who stole a motorbike in a Runcorn robbery has been jailed.

Mantas Savickas, of Wellbrook Green, Liverpool, pleaded guilty to robbery at Chester Crown Court on Tuesday 7 May.

He pleaded not guilty to possessing a bladed article in a public place and was acquitted of the offence following a trial.

The 21-year-old was sentenced at Chester Crown Court yesterday, Tuesday 24 September. He was jailed for 22 months, given a four-year restraining order preventing him from coming into contact with the victim of the robbery in any way and ordered to pay a £140 victim surcharge.

The robbery occurred in Mooring Close, Runcorn, on Tuesday 5 March.

At around 2pm Savickas walked up to the victim, a then 18-year-old man, threatened him and demanded the motorbike he was sat on.

At that point the victim got off the bike and Savickas pushed it to the nearby Runcorn Amateur Boxing Club car park.

After managing to get the bike started, he rode off into the wooded area that leads to Gorsewood Road.

The robbery was reported to police, who recovered it from another address in Murdishaw later that day.

No-one was in the address in Talisman Close when the bike was recovered, but the property contained a letter addressed to Savickas.

CCTV footage showed Savickas and fellow Liverpool man Darren Garbe in the area at the time the bike was stolen.

The footage also showed them in possession of the motorbike after the robbery had taken place and forensic enquiries revealed that the bike contained traces of their DNA.

The pair were arrested on Monday 8 April.

Garbe, of Greyhound Farm Road, Liverpool, was subsequently charged with possessing stolen goods.

The 19-year-old denied the charge but was convicted of the offence in a joint trial with Savickas.

Garbe was sentenced at Chester Crown Court today, Wednesday 25 September.

He was handed a six-month sentence at a young offenders’ institution and ordered to pay a £115 victim surcharge.

Following sentencing, Detective Constable Phil Brown said: “Mantas Savickas subjected the victim to a terrifying ordeal, stealing his motorbike after threatening him.

“Thankfully we were able to recover the bike and return it to its owner.

“We were also able to identify the man who stole the bike, as well as a man who later possessed it.

“The two men have now been brought to justice. I would like to thank all the officers involved in this case for their hard work in securing the convictions, which I hope will bring some closure to the victim.

“I also hope that the sentences handed out by the courts to Savickas and Darren Garbe serve as a deterrent to other people and stops them from committing similar crimes.”