Man jailed for burgling elderly neighbours home Date published: 1st November 2019 4.45pm

A Warrington man who broke into his elderly neighbour’s home while he was in hospital has been jailed.

Ian Massey appeared at Liverpool Crown Court on Friday 1 November where he was jailed for two years and six months.

The 60-year-old of Acton Road, Burtonwood and Westbrook, had earlier pleaded guilty to two counts of burglary.

The charges relate to two incidents which occurred on Friday 6 September when Massey broke into his neighbours home on Acton Road.

The first incident occurred at around 5.30pm when Massey was seen on CCTV footage climbing into the address via the kitchen window.

He then went onto to search the kitchen cupboards and drawers before stealing butter and a bottle of Fanta from the victim’s fridge. He then left the address.

A short time later, at 11.50pm, Massey again entered the house via the kitchen window and began to search the address.

However, unbeknown to him, the victim’s daughter had recently installed motion activated CCTV cameras and just seconds after he entered the building she received a notification on her mobile phone informing her that there was movement at the address.

Upon checking the footage the woman noticed that Massey stood in her father’s kitchen. The woman immediately activated at an alarm address and Massey quickly fled the scene.

After becoming aware of the incident the woman checked her phone and discovered a message in relation to the incident at 5.30pm. She reported both incidents to Cheshire police who launched an investigation and arrested Massey.

Following today’s sentencing Detective Sergeant Tom Hall said: “To stoop so low as to burgle your own neighbours home while he lay helpless in hospital is despicable.

“Massey knew that his neighbour was unwell, but even that didn’t stop him from breaking into his home and stealing his property.

“During his interviews Massey attempted to divert the blame, claiming that he was the concerned neighbour.

“He told officers that he entered the house after hearing a loud bang and simply wanted to make sure his neighbour was OK. Although how searching through his cupboards and stealing from his fridge has anything to do with being concerned for his safety is beyond belief.

“Thankfully, after hearing all the evidence gathered against him, Massey pleaded guilty to the charges brought against him and is now facing the consequences of his actions.”