Man jailed for Crewe murder Date published: 2nd March 2017 2.13pm

A man has today been jailed for murder.

The teenager was found guilty of the murder of Stephen O’Brien, 51, on Wednesday 1 March following a 14 day trial at Chester Crown Court.

Today, Thursday 2 March, Oliver John Dabbs, of Wood Street, Crewe, was sentenced to life imprisonment. The 19-year-old will serve a minimum of 20-years behind bars before he will be considered for release.

Stephen died on 31 August 2016 following an incident in a service road off Edleston Road, Crewe. He died as a result of a single stab wound to the chest, which penetrated his heart. He had also suffered a fractured eye socket, voice box and cheekbone.

Following his death a murder investigation was launched by Cheshire Police’s Major Investigation Team.

Dabbs was quickly identified as a suspect in the case. All efforts were made to locate him, with enquiries and searches taking place throughout the night and into the early hours. He was located the day after the incident (Thursday 1st September) and arrested on suspicion of murder.

During the investigation officers gathered vital evidence, carried out forensic enquiries, spoke to numerous witnesses, analysed mobile phone data and viewed hours of CCTV footage.

Following the investigation a file of evidence was presented to the Crown Prosecution Service who agreed that there was sufficient evidence to charge Dabbs with murder.

Detective Inspector Helena Banusic, who was in charge of the case, said: “Sadly we may never know the reasons behind Dabbs’ appalling actions on that day.

"This has been a complex investigation and I would like to thank all those who were involved in the case. I would also like to express my deepest sympathy to Stephen’s family who have been deeply affected by his death.

“Throughout this trial they have acted with dignity and patience, and I hope that Dabbs’ conviction will provide some closure for them.”

Chief Inspector Paul Beauchamp, of Crewe Local Policing Unit, said: Stephen’s death has had a major impact on the local community, and I would like to thank local people for all of the support that they have provided throughout this investigation.”

The jury were unable to reach a verdict on a second man who was on trial in relation to Stephens’s death; he will now face a retrial in September 2017.