Man Jailed for Manslaughter in Ellesmere Port Date published: 10th November 2015 6.08pm

A 31-year-old man from Runcorn has today been sentenced to 6 years in prison after a jury found him guilty of manslaughter.

Peter Taylor originally denied the manslaughter of Lukasz Sawinski, 31, following an altercation in Woodfield Road in Ellesmere Port.

Taylor was convicted by a jury on 10 November 2015 at Liverpool Crown Court.

In the early hours of Monday 27 April Lukasz had been drinking with friends in an alleyway near Woodfield Road when they were approached by three men.

The men appeared to have been arguing with Lukasz and his friends and without warning Taylor punched Lukasz in the face.

Lukasz didn’t seek medical assistance until Thursday 30 April when his health appeared to deteriorate. He was taken to Aintree Hospital with a fractured skull and a bleed on the brain. He was subsequently induced into a coma as part of his treatment.

His father Marek flew from Poland to be at his bedside and remained with him – his family back home desperately waiting and praying for good news.

Taylor and three other men were arrested as part of an investigation into the assault and Taylor was subsequently charged with section 20 assault.

This changed to a manslaughter investigation when Lukasz sadly died in the early hours of Tuesday 12 May at Walton Hospital in Liverpool.

DI Steve Jones said: “When bravado strikes you have no idea of the consequences, even if you just throw one punch.

“Lukasz thought he was okay after being assaulted and thought he didn’t require hospital treatment. Sadly the blow to his head was much more serious than he anticipated and he died from his injuries days later with his father by his bedside.

“This is a very sad case which could have been prevented had Taylor not struck out on that night.

“A family has lost their son, uncle and brother due to his actions. Taylor will now have plenty of time to consider just how dangerous one punch can be now that he is behind bars.”