Man jailed for Runcorn murder Date published: 1st August 2016 1.22pm

A man has today been jailed for the murder of another man.

Slawomir Misiak was handed a life sentence after he pleaded guilty to the murder of 35-year-old Marcin Karolewski. Marcin lost his life following an altercation in Runcorn on 12th April 2016.

Misiak, 38, appeared today, Monday 1st August, at Chester Crown Court for a Newton hearing and sentencing, where he was told that he will serve a minimum of 20 years in prison.

Following his summing up His Honour Judge Dutton said:

“This incident was one that was clearly avoidable but, in drink, you allowed yourself to lose your temper and in an extraordinarily violent fashion …and you killed a man.”

The HHJ Dutton also described Misiak as being a ‘dangerous man’ with an ‘extremely violent temper’.

The incident took place on 12 April 2016 at Bigfield Lodge, Warrington Road, Runcorn, shortly after 8.00pm. Marcin and Misiak, who were both originally from Poland, lived at Bigfield Lodge where they use to socialise together on a regular basis.

On Sunday 12th April the pair, along with Misiak’s roommate, had been out socialising on the riverside in Runcorn where they had all drunk a quantity of alcohol. After returning to their homes an argument broke between the group.

As the argument continued, a fight broke out between Marcin and the defendant which resulted in the victim sustaining two serious stab wounds, one to the right of his back and one on the lower chest.

Shortly after the altercation an off duty Police Community Support Officer was driving along Warrington Road when he was flagged down by Marcin’s friend. After getting out of his vehicle the PCSO spotted Marcin at the side of the road and was confronted by Marin’s friend who ‘shouted for help’.

The PCSO immediately called for assistance and a short time later of officers from Cheshire Police arrived at the scene along with paramedics.

As officers from Cheshire Police descended on the scene they initially arrested three people, two on suspicion of section 18 assault, including Misiak, and one on suspicion of wounding.

Meanwhile, Marcin was taken to Whiston hospital, but despite emergency surgery, doctors were unable to save him and he sadly died.

Misiak remained in police custody for several days and Friday 15th April he was charged with Marcin’s murder.

Following today’s sentencing Detective Inspector Helena Banusic, from the Cheshire Police Major Investigations Team, said:

“The sentence at was handed down today by His Honour Judge Dutton reflects the serious nature of the crime and I hope that it brings some form of closure for Marcin’s family.

“Marcin originally came to England for a ‘better life’, but sadly as a result of the actions taken by Misiak his life was tragically cut short.”

Marcin is survived only by his mother and his sister. In a statement presented to the court today Marcin’s sister told the court how both she and her mother had struggled to come to terms with his death.

DI Banusic added:

“Marcin’s mother and sister were unable to attend the sentencing today, but in a statement read out on behalf of his sister she stated that since the tragic incident their mother had cried almost every day, and she doubts that their mother will ever be able to come to terms with the death of her only son.”