Man sentenced after admitting causing death by careless driving in Holmes Chapel Date published: 8th January 2018 3.48pm

A 28-year-old man has been sentenced to eight months in prison after admitting causing death by careless driving, failing to stop and failing to report a collision in Holmes Chapel.

Edward Taylor from Ryder Grove, Butt Lane in Kidsgrove admitted to the offences at an earlier hearing.

On Monday 8 January 2018 Taylor was sentenced to eight months at Chester Crown Court. He was also disqualified from driving for two years and four months and has to pay a victim surcharge.

The collision occurred on Friday 17 March 2017 at 6.30pm in London Road outside the library. Local man Brian Bailey, 77, was crossing the road after shopping in the precinct when Edward Taylor, who was driving a BMW X5, collided with him. Taylor left the scene and failed to acknowledge he had left a man seriously injured.

Emergency services attended the scene and Brian was taken to Royal Stoke Hospital. Despite the best efforts of all involved Brian sadly died a short time later.

Taylor handed himself in the following morning after seeing on the Cheshire Police Facebook page that the collision had caused the death of a man.

In a statement at the time Brian’s family said: “Brian was a loving father, grandfather, and great grandfather. He was a quiet man who kept himself to himself, but was a funny character who was well loved and known in his village of Holmes Chapel. Brian enjoyed his garden, collecting war memorabilia and looking after his Jack Russell dog Roxy.”

PC Liz Thompson said: “These tragic events highlight just how important it is to pay attention when you’re driving because as we’ve seen here, the results can be life changing, not only for the grieving family, but for yourself.

“Taylor chose to look the other way and ignore everything that told him he had been in a collision - he did nothing, putting his suspicions to the back of his mind and carry on partying while Brian’s family were discovering they were never going to see their father, grandfather and great grandfather ever again. I hope Taylor now realises the consequences of his actions that evening.”

Brian’s family were in court for the sentencing and said: “We’re glad these very stressful proceedings are at an end. We now feel we can begin to move forward. Some of our unanswered questions have now been answered and we feel we can better understand what happened that night.”